Got a new device for your home? Here is how to set up Google Home. This guide works for Google Home, Google Home Mini and Google Home Max. The process is the same for all these devices. If there is any difference, I will specify that as a separate note. Now let’s get started!
Ingredients to Set Up Google Home
Here is what you’ll need to set up Google Home:
Steps to Set Up Google Home
Now, the real fun starts!
- Let’s plug in the Google Home device. It will display some nice LED lights and play a brief tune when it is switched on and ready.
- Make sure that your phone is connected to the same WiFi network that Google Home will use.
- Open the Google Home app.
- If you are using the Google Home app for the first time, you will be asked to set it up by selecting a Google account.
- If you are already using the Home app for Chromecast or any other Cast device, tap the devices icon on the top right corner.
- Your new Google Home should be displayed here. Select the device and tap Next to get started.
- Your Google Home will now play a sound to confirm that you are indeed connecting to this device.
- If you hear the sound, tap Yes on the app. If not, you will need to scan for devices again and try setting it up again.
- At this point, Home app might ask you to select a region and language. If your phone is set to a language that isn’t yet supported by Home, you will need to select from one of the supported languages.
- App will now ask you to select a room. This is only to help you identify the device easily. For example, if you will be keeping this Home device in your kitchen, select Kitchen from the list.
- Next, select the WiFi network that you want Home to connect to.
- If you have an Android device with Android L or later, you will see Get password this option fetches WiFi password saved on your phone and provides it to the Home device. On phones where this is not supported, you will need to enter the WiFi password manually. Hope you still remember that WiFi password!
- Now, set up Assistant and provide required permissions.
- Next up, teach your Google Home to identify your voice. You will be asked to say Okay Google and or Hey Google couple of times so that Home can identify your voice.
- Up next, enter location of the Google Home. This is the physical address of the building where Google Home is.
- Now, you will get options to set up your Home supported services. You can set up your music service and Netflix etc here.
- Follow the prompts to complete those final details, and you are done!
Now go ahead and try asking couple of funny questions! If you have questions regarding activating and setting up Google Home, drop me a comment and I will do my best to answer that for you.