Google Assistant is the AI powered virtual assistant that can answer questions and get things done. The Assistant is currently available on Android phones and iOS devices. This article explains how to get Google Assistant on these devices.
You can get Google Assistant on:
- Android phone
- iPhone or iPad
- Google Home
- Android Wear watch
- Google Allo messaging app
How to Get Google Assistant App
Google Assistant does not have a separate .apk to download. It comes as part of the Google App. You will get Google Assistant if your phone meets the following requirements:
- Android 6.0 or higher
- Google app 6.13 or higher
- Google Play services
- 1.5 GB of memory and 720p screen resolution
- Phone’s language set to a language listed above
Apart from the Google App, Google Assistant is available within Google’s chat app, Allo, as a chat bot. Download the Allo app from Play Store, or from the App Store to get started. To start using Google Assistant within an Allo conversation, simply type @google and ask your question. Here is a video from The Verge, explaining how to use Allo, and Assistant:
Note: Google Assistant will not be available while using an incognito conversation in Allo.
Enable Assistant on Android TV
Google recently launched the Assistant on TV. If you have a supported device, upgrade your Android TV to start using the Assistant. Refer to this official Help Center article for more information.
On supported Android phones, you can enable Google Assistant from the Google app.
- Open the Google app.
- At the top left of the Home screen, tap Menu (three horizontal lines) > Settings > Enable Google Assistant.
iPhones and iPads
If you are using an iPhone or an iPad, you will need to first download and install the Google Assistant app. You can download it from here. Currently this is available only in the US Store. You will need to change the Store to install the Assistant. After installing the Assistant app:
- On your iPhone, open the Google Assistant app.
- Say “Ok Google” or tap Speak (microphone icon).
- Ask a question or ask the Assistant to perform any task.
Android Wear Watches
If you have a supported Android Wear watch, you can get Google Assistant on it. Not all watches listen to “OK Google”command by default. We need to enable this feature to get started with the Assistant.
- From your watch’s home screen, swipe down from the top of the screen.
- Touch Settings
- Go to Personalization.
- Turn Ok Google detection on.
Get back to your home screen and start using Google Assistant by using saying “OK Google” to your watch.
One Plus 3 or One Plus 3T
One Plus uses a customized version of Android. Google Assistant is not (yet) enabled by default. Here is how to enable Assistant on One Plus phones:
- Go to Phone Settings > Buttons > Long press action
- Choose Google Assistant.
- Come back to the home screen.
- Long press the home button. Assistant should now launch.
If Assistant is not working after changing long press action, try this:
- Restart your phone and try again.
- From Settings > Apps > Google, uninstall updates.
- Update the Google App again
- Restart the phone and try again.
(Thank you Deepak for the help!)
Google Assistant lives inside the Allo app as a chat bot. You can either have a conversation between you and the Assistant, or add Assistant to one of your chats, including group chats.
Here is how you start a 1:1 conversation with Google Assistant:
- Open Allo.
- Tap New Chat.
- From the Contacts list, choose Google Assistant.
- Start chatting!
To add Google Assistant to an existing conversation, type @google followed by the question or command.
Assistant In Hindi For Users From India
Google Assistant is available in Hindi. Here is how to change the default language of Google Assistant:
- Touch and hold your home button to launch Google Assistant.
- On the top right, touch the blue circle icon.
- Touch the Settings icon (three dots) and choose Settings.
- Scroll down and touch Assistant language.
- Touch Language Preferences and add the language you would like to switch to.
- Next to the language you added, touch & hold Reorder. Move your preferred language to the top in the list, to make it default.