If you have Google Cast devices and Google Home at your place, here is a piece of news that you will appreciate. Home will now reduce volume on those cast devices when you start using Google Assistant. This is to make it easy for the Assistant to listen to your instructions.
However, this won’t work if:
- If you’re casting music on a group of Cast devices.
- If you started casting content on a TV or speaker using a mobile phone and not your voice.
- When casting content on an Android TV devices with fixed volume (e.g. Nexus Player)
- When casting content on a Chromecast built-in speaker or TV, or Android TV running Chromecast firmware version older than 1.25. Here’s how to check your firmware version.
- For TV shows and movies when playback is done at 5.1 surround sound.
How To Disable This Feature
This feature is enabled by default. However, if you want to disable this, here is how you can do it:
- Open Google Home app on your phone.
- Go to Devices section by tapping the devices icon (tv + speakers icon)
- Find your Google Home from the list. Touch the three dots icon to go to Settings.
- Under “Lower volume when listening”, tap the checkbox or slide the slider off.
If you have a Google Home, try this out now!